An awesome prime rib roast recipe, crispy on the outside and rare in the middle. Slices for every preference.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- 1 prime rib roast (about 5 lb or 2.2 kg), at room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Olive Oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35% whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 500°F
2. Rub roast with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper mix. Place roast, bone side down, inroasting pan. Roast in centre of oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F
3. Brush roast with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of mustard and sprinkle rosemary, then return to oven. Roast for 70 minutes longer for rare or until meat thermometer registers 135°F (57°C). [For medium, roast 85 minutes longer or until meat thermometer registers 155°F (68°C)]. Tent with foil; let stand for20 minutes before serving.
4. Meanwhile, make sauce: In frying pan, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook shallots until softened but not browned, 3-4 minutes. Stir in white wine; cook until wine is reduced by half. Stir in whipping cream and remaining mustard; cook until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in horseradish.