This is an awesome prime rib recipe to please all tastes. Well done on the outside and rare in the middle.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground, salt and pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary fresh
- 2 tbsp (45 mL) dry mustard
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- 1 prime rib roast (about 5 lb/2.2 kg), at room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Olive Oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35% whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C).
Rub roast with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper mix. Place roast, bone side down, inroasting pan. Roast in centre of oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
2. Brush roast with 1 tbsp (25 mL) of mustard and rosemary return to oven. Roast for 70 minutes longer for rare or until meat thermometer registers 135°F (57°C). [For medium, roast 85minutes longer or until meat thermometer registers 155°F (68°C)]. Tent with foil; let stand for 20 minutes before serving or until internal temperature rises 5°F (2°C).
3. Meanwhile, make sauce: In frying pan, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook shallots and mushrooms until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in white wine; cook until wine is reducedby half, about 4 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and remaining mustard; cook until saucethickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in horseradish sauce.
4. Slice roast and serve with sauce.