This is a classic recipe but we add some cream cheese because it tastes sooo good with the feta. Awesome for lunch if you have something to reheat it in. Makes 9 squares (4″x4″) or 12 squares (3″x3″)
Also, great for a party appetizer, you can prep the night before and just heat it and cut.
1/4 cup olive oil (option use butter for brushing phyllo paper)
2 lbs spinach
6 spring onions, sliced in 1/4 inch lengths
1 leek, sliced in 1/4 inch lengths
1 medium red onion, chopped fine
3/4 cup fresh dill, minced
1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
250 gram Philadelphia Cream cheese
3 eggs, beaten
450 gram phyllo pastry
1. Heat a few tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions and leek, about 3-4 minutes on medium low. Add the spinach and continue cooking until the leaves have wilted for another 8-10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and lett cool on cutting board. Lightly chop when cooled, then put in large bowl. Add cheeses, (cut cream cheese in 1/4 slices, makes it easier to mix in) dill, eggs and mix well.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. In a baking pan approx. 12 x 12, lightly oil it with olive oil. Unroll the phyllo and lay a couple sheets across the pan. Brush with olive oil lightly and repeat until you have used about half the package.
4. Spread the mix across the pane on the phyllo sheets. Layer the balance of phyllo on top brushing some olive oil again. You can score the top layer of the phyllo into the size you want to cut after you have cooked it.
5. Put on middle oven rack and cook for 40-45 minutes, until it is golden brown.
5. Let cool for a few minutes and serve. Works well with a village salad for lunch.
You can optionally roll individual portions on each sheet of phyllo, or make triangles.